Director of Human Resources
Education Analytics (EA) is a 501c3 nonprofit founded in 2013 with a mission of conducting research and developing policy and management analytics to support continuous improvement in American education. EA works with school districts, states and foundations across the country to make education better by solving tough problems with real and actionable solutions. The organization, which grew out of a research center focused on studying school and educator effectiveness at the University of Wisconsin in Madison, currently has more than 65 staff members and an annual budget of $10 million. Today, EA uses rigorous data analysis to inform education research, management and policy decisions. EA’s staff is a group of highly motivated, energetic, passionate individuals committed to equity and social change. They make that change happen by working with partners across the U.S. to improve education systems in innovative ways.
Since its founding in 2013, Education Analytics has grown quickly, successfully establishing itself as a leading consultant to school organizations, policymakers and nonprofits around their data analytics practices. Now that EA has 65 staff members (and is growing at a rate of more than 40% per year), it is seeking to develop its talent management function by bringing on its first senior level leader to oversee Human Resources. This individual will strengthen the organization’s people practices, including: putting in place systems and structures for efficient talent acquisition; increasing the diversity of new hires, especially at the leadership level; and building upon EA’s current positive culture to continue instituting effective practices in the areas of equity and inclusion.
The ideal candidate for this position will be an experienced professional in the areas of human capital development and talent strategy. They will have coached supervisors in effective management practices, will have overseen hiring for multiple departments, and will have served as an advisor to senior leaders on how to establish organization-wide practices for the effective recruitment, selection, onboarding and development of their people. This person will have a clear stance on how to promote diversity, equity and inclusion throughout a growing organization such as EA and will be able to execute effective strategies in increasing the recruitment and retention of diverse team members.
Key Responsibilities of the Director of Human Resources include:
- Overseeing the strategy for and the execution of recruitment, selection and hiring processes for all Education Analytics staff and leaders;
- Establishing clear alignment between staff recruitment, onboarding and staff development initiatives;
- Leading efforts to increase the attraction and retention of high quality, diverse staff and senior managers;
- Building upon current practices to institute best-in-class efforts to promote equity and inclusion at all levels of the organization;
- Serving as a senior advisor and coach to managers and the leadership team on how to develop and implement effective talent management practices;
- Overseeing all human resources activities, ensuring alignment with federal, state and local regulations and ethics practices.
A successful first year in this role for the new Director of Human Resources will include:
- Developing, presenting and beginning execution on a comprehensive talent management strategy that is adopted by EA’s leadership team and board;
- Hiring and successfully onboarding 25+ new employees;
- Guiding EA’s leadership team in building and implementing an organization-wide strategy to support diversity, equity and inclusion at all levels;
- Instituting systematic trainings and providing personalized coaching to managers so they have the tools they need to effectively supervise and develop their people;
- Leading a review of salary and benefits practices to ensure they are equitable, cost-effective and best meet employees needs;
- Exploring and narrowing in on options for a new HR information system.
In order to fulfill these responsibilities, the ideal Director of Human Resources candidate will be:
- An accomplished leader with 10+ years professional experience, including a minimum of five years in a talent management and/or human resources role.
- An experienced coach of senior managers and executives around human capital initiatives.
- Familiar with a scaling, growth enterprise and the need to establish strong people practices to support that expansion.
- Committed to Education Analytics’ mission to close opportunity gaps through improving the effectiveness of education systems and organizational practices.
- Culturally competent and a self-reflective leader who understands the effects of race, class, ethnicity, income, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and other issues of difference in society and is able to lead direct conversations about them.
- A builder of authentic relationships with a variety of internal stakeholders and external partners, including the ability to help staff and leaders connect the organization’s goals and priorities to its people practices.
- Flexible, able to creatively problem solve and work in an environment of change and ambiguity.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
This position offers a competitive salary range and an annual bonus opportunity of up to 15% of salary (most employees receive at least 10%). EA also provides a comprehensive benefits package, which includes: 12% guaranteed 401k contribution (and another 3% match); payment of almost all (93%) of health care premiums for employees and their dependents; dental, vision, life and disability insurance; and an annual accrual of more than 25 days vacation, 12 days sick leave and nine paid holidays. More details can be provided upon request.
Please apply here