Education Analytics (EA) is a non-profit organization that uses data analysis to inform education policy and management decisions. We work with school districts, regional offices of education, non-profits, and policymakers to identify ways that make education systems better. We are seeking a full-time Research Associate to provide quantitative research support to our team of Research Scientists. Research Associate tasks may include data preparation and analysis (e.g., data extraction and merging, summary statistics, regression analysis, and interpretation of statistical evidence); support for advanced modeling and simulations; statistical programming; and contributing to the writing and preparation of draft documents and presentations. Research Associate may have the opportunity to co-author reports and journal articles.
If you are looking to really dig into data and apply cutting-edge statistics to address critical problems impacting the lives of millions of students across the country, we encourage you to apply. We are looking for passionate, budding researchers who view every challenge not as a roadblock but as an opportunity to do something innovative and exciting to transform the U.S. education system.
Specific Research Associate Responsibilities
- Working with EA researchers to explore and refine innovative statistical methods for education policy and management applications that may include, but are not limited to, the following approaches: linear and nonlinear regression methods, Bayesian methods, propensity score matching, multilevel/hierarchical linear modeling, and machine learning
Other responsibilities may include:
- Collaborating with programmers to implement these models for external partners and projects
- Supporting communications with state and local education agencies and other EA partners, including contributing to technical memos, policy briefs, partner reports, and grant proposals, for a variety of technical and non-technical audiences
- Assisting in writing research-oriented documents, including conference papers and presentations, academic journal articles, working papers, and technical documentation
Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a statistically focused field (e.g., Economics, Statistics, or Data Science) from a four-year college or university is required
- Graduate training (e.g., master’s degree, PhD coursework, or ABD) and/or two years of professional experience in economics, statistics, data science or a related field in an academic, non-profit, corporate, or other research-focused setting is strongly preferred
- Solid understanding of and interest in quantitative methods—especially statistical or econometric models—for studying individual decision-making and/or evaluating public policy and programs
- Highly proficient with at least one statistical software program (e.g. R, STATA, SAS) is required; familiarity with R is preferred
- Excellent problem-solving and systems-thinking skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Desire to work in a team environment at a fast-growing, fast-paced nonprofit
- Interest in improving and supporting U.S. K-12 public education through data analysis
- Competitive salary
- Annual merit bonuses
- Paid holidays and one month of paid vacation per year
- Generous 401k and health benefits
- Free Madison Metro transit pass or subsidized office parking (if space is available)
- Casual office environment
- Location right in the heart of downtown Madison, Wisconsin
- Located in or open to relocating to Madison at some point (timeline open given COVID-19 uncertainty)
This position will be open until Friday, October 30th. We will begin reaching out to candidates the week of November 2nd.
Education Analytics is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
If interested, please apply here.